Wikia — or more formally, Wikia, Inc. — is the for-profit, but legally separate, spinoff of wikimedia.org. Started by Jimbo Wales — Wikipedia's founder — it is a wiki farm that allows users to create wikis that have narrower foci than the broad encyclopedia that is Wikipedia.
Wikia usage stressed on this wiki
Since it is the place where this wiki is hosted, much of the emphasis of the pybot wiki will be on how to use pywikipedia in the Wikia environment. While this will be generally applicable to Wikipedia or any other MediaWiki installation, examples and details will be Wikia-centric. Additionally, scripts that only work on Wikipedia will not receive immediate priority — though users familiar with their Wikipedia functionality are of course welcome to add information to this wiki.
Rules about Wikia
- not to upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
- [that], with the exception of accessing RSS feeds and our API in accordance with the Service’s policies applicable to such access, you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission;
- not to forge headers, or manipulate source identifiers or otherwise attempt to disguise the origin of any content made available via the Service;
- you will not: (i) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; (ii) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site; or (iii) bypass any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site, including robot exclusion headers; or
- not to access, collect or store personal data about other users in connection with the prohibited conduct and activities described in this “User Conduct” section.